Re: Narid Farms Agribusiness Consultancy

by chrisjordan

Green House Vegetable Production The Cost Benefits and the Ordeal

by ClydePoope

Hello Guest
collapse
Should we worry if Africa’s farmers are getting older?
8 Replies
June 21, 2013, 01:11:19 PM
    • View Profile
  • Agric
  • Administrator
    None Send PM
Should we worry if Africa’s farmers are getting older? Your thought

June 24, 2013, 03:38:55 PM
Yes because most agriculture graduates do not go to the farm to explore the knowledge they gain from school but rather wants to sit at the offices with their palm folded

June 26, 2013, 10:19:12 PM
    • View Profile
  • Toyin.F
  • Forum Member
    Ibadan Send PM
Its so disheartening that the Agricultural value is been lost for white collar jobs. I was chatting with a 60yrs old cassava farmer and I asked him if any of his children are into Agriculture as a profession, you can guess what his answer was. There's every need to be worried as our "farmers" are getting older. And the more reason why there should be more programmes targeted towards the encouragement of youth to be more involved in Agriculture. Sad enough, Nigeria as a case study,  even graduates from Agric institutions are seen deviating to other professions like insurance, Banking etc.

July 03, 2013, 01:34:02 PM
    • View Profile
  • FULSWHAP
  • Forum Member
    LAGOS / EKITI Send PM
It is disheartening that despite the increase in demand for food supply due to growing population with Africa's ageing farmers, no programme has been put in place to encourage young farmers to delve into agriculture, the so called governmental programmes to boost food productions is being used as a political tool only to party stalwarts who have no passion for agriculture. Its hightime the government moves to bridge the gap.

August 21, 2013, 07:39:28 PM
    • View Profile
  • Anienge001
  • Forum Member
    Uyo Send PM
The neglect of agriculture by successive government is not helping the situation. Whenever there money voted for farmers, U see politicians turning farmers overnight. They youths see farming as a poor man's job. Yet, we all need food. Very soon, we will be importing common staple like garri and corn.

August 25, 2013, 10:53:40 PM
    • View Profile
  • Ajayitp82
  • Forum Member
    Osun Send PM
What do u expect agric graduates 2 do when government has neva encouraged them 2 practise what they went 2 schl 2 study. Now tell me, what stops our leaders 4rm providing gr8 incentives & enabling enviroments for graduates who are interested in agriculture? Open up virgin land for them, provide farm implements, tractors & so on, let them go into full mechanized farming. Let them derive joy in farming, let them see it as a profession they can live on. Go to Uk, farmers there are kings, richer than oil magnates. I have a british friend whose father happens 2 be a farmer, the father is stinkingly rich and d son is proud of it, my friend too is into big time farming right now, so farming has become a business for their generation, I think this is how it shld be in our country as well.

August 26, 2013, 05:16:54 PM
    • View Profile
  • Anienge001
  • Forum Member
    Uyo Send PM
What do u expect agric graduates 2 do when government has neva encouraged them 2 practise what they went 2 schl 2 study. Now tell me, what stops our leaders 4rm providing gr8 incentives & enabling enviroments for graduates who are interested in agriculture? Open up virgin land for them, provide farm implements, tractors & so on, let them go into full mechanized farming. Let them derive joy in farming, let them see it as a profession they can live on. Go to Uk, farmers there are kings, richer than oil magnates. I have a british friend whose father happens 2 be a farmer, the father is stinkingly rich and d son is proud of it, my friend too is into big time farming right now, so farming has become a business for their generation, I think this is how it shld be in our country as well.

I agree with you totally. But the way we build other business, we should aim at developing agro-business. You may not have to be a farmer directly, but add value to farm produce before marketing. I wish things can change in our generation!!

November 29, 2013, 10:35:01 AM
    • View Profile
  • shaibum
  • Forum Member
    None Send PM
Yes.In fact,we're not only to worry but also think out what we can do about td situation &do it as we canot stay watchin

December 31, 2013, 11:53:35 AM
    • View Profile
  • COMFORT
  • Forum Member
    france Send PM
INDIVIDUALS ARE WORRIED FOR THE AGING FARMERS BUT GOVTIS NOT .WHAT A PITY HOW DO WE FEED THE NATION? YOU MAY HAVE THE MONEY BUT TO BUY WHAT? LET US DO SOMETHING WE CANNOT FOLD OUR HANDS AND WORRY FOR NOTHING.
 SERIOUS SMALL GROUPS CAN COME TOGHETHER AND START SOMETHING,IF NOTHING  VISIBLE  IS DONE OT PROVOKE THE GOVERNMENT TO PROVIDE AIDS ,IT WILL BE DIFFICULT TO ACHIEVE OUR AGRIC GOALS

* Ad